Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Things I need invented: Universal Inductive Charging Pad


A4Tech makes a wireless optical mouse that works through "Electromagnetic Induction Technology"; the mouse pad itself is powered and generates a current in the mouse through induction. My toothbrush charges the same way: the base of the unit sits on a sealed copper coil that supplies enough power to the toothbrush to charge it overnight.

Here's what I want: a "Universal Inductive Charging Pad" that can charge all of my portable devices at once, using an industry standard that every device implements. Instead of a clutter of custom chargers, docks, and wires, imagine just throwing your cell phone, pager, ipod, and pda on the universal charging pad. The next day, they're all charged up. I want one. Now go invent it.

(Image thanks to pvera.)

Tags: , , , , , , .

3 Comments:

At 5:29 PM, August 10, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the power that you are able to deliver with inductive charging might be low. That works fine for both the mouse and the toothbrush, which are pretty low-demand consumers of energy, but something like a cell phone uses more energy.

 
At 5:39 PM, August 10, 2005, Blogger IvyMike said...

I never said it was going to be easy; after all, that's why I'm asking someone else to invent it. ;)

Perhaps high-power devices could have an optional "rapid charger", which is just the same cord they have today. But my cell phone works for about 3 days before it needs to be recharged. (The problem is that I don't always remember to plug it in.) It feels like asking the charger to fill up 1/3rd of the battery overnight shouldn't be that difficult.

 
At 10:39 PM, August 11, 2005, Blogger IvyMike said...

I should have searched halfbakery first. I hate being unoriginal!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home