Thursday, July 28, 2005

Forgetting Go

About five years ago, I learned the rules of Go and eventually got to somewhere slightly better than 15 kyu. This means I was about to move from "total beginner" to "seasoned beginner". I played a lot of 9x9 and 13x13 games as I was learning, so I was ok at tactics and life & death problems, but I missed out on a lot of the rich strategy that shows up in 19x19 games.

A few weeks ago I thought, "I should pick up where I left off." HA! I played a few games against Many Faces of Go this week. I used to be about even with MFOG in 13x13 games, but tonight I barely beat MFOG in a 13x13 game...with a four-stone handicap in my advantage. I need to crack out the books and start playing on KGS again, I guess.

1 Comments:

At 7:35 AM, August 01, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been playing the free Many Faces (called igowin, only 9x9). I can occasionally get to the level where I'm not spotted any stones, but I haven't won one of those yet. And I know that if I move to a bigger board I'll be lost.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home