Thursday, April 21, 2005

When Beer Attacks


When Beer Attacks, Part 1
Originally uploaded by IvyMike.
I've had the first big problem with my homebrew: some of my beers are undergoing late fermentation in the bottle. The yeast did not ferment enough sugar out of the beer before I bottled, and are now slowly working through the remaining sugar, churning out more carbon dioxide.

My friend tipped me off that Batch 7 was having problems, and since I hadn't had one in a while, I tried one tonight. This one is a gusher. In the worst case, the carbonation will continue to build, and the beers will explode with disastrous results.

In theory, this shouldn't be a problem for my latest beers; starting with Batch 9, I've started making a "beer starter" and oxygenating the beer, both of which should encourage healthy yeast that will finish fermentation quickly.

Update: I just noticed that my friend was talking about Batch 8, not Batch 7! If you have any of these beers, be careful, and know that the clock is ticking. KABOOM!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home