Thursday, September 14, 2006

Linking to sites you don't support

In my last post, I linked to the "Loose Change" website, a site which I think is spreading misinformation and half-truths about 9/11. But if you link to a site, you're "voting" for it to get a higher PageRank, and thus be displayed higher in the search results pages. That's definitely something I don't want to do.

There's a trick, though. Search Engines have a tag you can use to say "do not count this link as vote for the page". Thus I used the rel="nofollow" attribute in the link to the Loose Change website.

It's easy to do--just add it to the "A HREF" part of the HTML, like this:

<a href="http://www.example.com/" rel="nofollow">foo</a>

If you've got a blog, and you link to sites you don't want to vouch for, using nofollow is the recommended solution.

1 Comments:

At 9:43 PM, September 17, 2006, Blogger Berzinator said...

Thanks, Mike.

I'll have to remember this when linking to eCheat and such sites.

I hate to feel like a nanny or a grumpy old man, always complaining about those evil websites. But what are you going to do in this brave new world?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home