Sunday, August 06, 2006

Kryptonite lock v. dremel


Kryptonite Lock 2
Originally uploaded by IvyMike.
This old kryptonite lock was on my old blike, in a holder, but locked around the frame. I lost the key years ago, and I'm going to be getting rid of the old bike, so I figured I would see how tough these things really are. I believe it was Archimedes who said, "Give me a dremel and a supply of cutoff disks and I'll cut the world in half."

Two cutoff disks and 10 minutes later, here's the lock. OK, not quite: it was about 10 minutes of work, but the dremel was heating up quite a bit. So it was more like 5 minutes of dremeling, a 20 minute break, and 5 more minutes of dremel.

My dremel technique was a little off: I caught the disk a few times, and I started the cut in an sub-optimal location. I'm fairly certain that with some practice, I couold probably cut a lock in under five minutes total.

1 Comments:

At 5:56 PM, August 07, 2006, Blogger MelechRic said...

I was looking for video of freeze-spray defeating one of these locks. Then somehow I happened upon this Amazon.com URL for a product that claims to freeze fido's leavings for easier disposal.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CMKPDI/002-4735832-8873603

The product is interesting in its own right, but the user's ratings make for even better reading.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home