Saturday, July 22, 2006

Too damn hot.

But exactly how hot is it?

Yahoo says it's 110° F right now:

I grabbed my infrared pyrometer and started measuring the temperature of various objects. Remeber in Predator, when the predator had heat vision? An infrared pyrometer works like a one-pixel version of that.


It's 84.9° F in the single-room I'm air conditioning in my apartment. My air conditioner isn't powerful enough to cool more than the one room, so the other rooms are hellish infernos.


The shaded outside wall of my apartment is 98.4° F:

The shaded sidewalk is 105.9° F:

The unshaded sidewalk is 144.8° F!

The unshaded asphalt is 153.1° F!!!

This unshaded plant is 108.6° F. I thought it would be hotter. That's much cooler than anything nearby.

This shaded grass is 84.0° F. That's about as cool as my air-conditioned apartment. Nature wins again, I guess.

My shaded car is 95.7° F. From experience, I know that if I leave my car in the sun, with the black interior, it would be about infinity degrees.

But the entire shaded carport is a cool 83.8° F. Weird. It hardly seems fair that the car is the hotest thing in the whole carport.

And finally, this unshaded car is 156.0° F!!!!!!!!! (That's right, I used nine exclamtion marks.!) This is someone else's car, and it's been parked in the spot for a long time. And it's ridonkulously hot!

In the time it took me to post this, Yahoo now says the temperature has now increased to 111° F outside. I'm going to go into my one air-conditioned room and try to sit absolutely still so as to not dislodge the beads of sweat forming on my forehead. I hope it's not this hot where you are!

1 Comments:

At 5:47 PM, July 22, 2006, Blogger Jim said...

That is actually a pretty cool little tool there. Sorry you only have air conditioning in one room, though. Make sure it's the room that has your computer in it for sure!

Then you can play Alien v. Predator and pass the time faster. (Your mentioning Predator reminded me of that game. I liked playing the predator and switching to that vision mode to look around.

Jim
http://www.got-air-conditioning.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home