Thursday, March 02, 2006

Winter Olympics Roundup

Well, the 20th Winter Olympics are over, but I didn't get to a lot of half-written blog posts on the subject. So as we say goodbye to Torino mascots Neve and Gliz, here are my final thoughts:

Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through the Olympics: An out-of-shape Bode Miller, in an interview after his last race, said "It was really positive, really positive. I had a great time. I had a lot of fun. I was out a lot. Despite what everybody thinks, I didn't get drunk very often and I never drank the night before the race". He took the opportunity of a lifetime and instead partied like a spoiled American on his first Eurotrip. Miller also said, "My goals weren't to be the best in the world. I don't want to win the overall World Cup. I wasn't trying to." I guess he was very successful at that.

Olympian most likely to share a name with a character on The Sopranos: Joey Cheek

Dumbest Olympic rule: There's no Women's ski jumping, because it is bad for their health. (also, there was no women's marathon until 1984, for the same reason!)

Saddest story of the Olympics: Kimberly Derrick competed (and lost) the same day that her grandfather died of a heart attack.

And finally, at least they finished: Dead F'ing Last, celebrating last place finishes in the Olympics

Tags: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home