Friday, June 17, 2005

Learn to swim.


Picture of the recent california earthquake cluster. Posted by Hello To this non-native Californian, it seems like we've had quite a few earthquakes recently, although the USGS tells me it's nothing to worry about.

When an earthquake hits, I usually load the usgs.gov site and bounce on "reload page" for the minute or two it takes before the site updates. I think the website could probably generate earthquake maps without a single seismograph just by correlating a spike of incoming browser ip addresses to geographic location and compensating for population density and time of day. (A small quake in a large town in the middle of the afternoon might generate more hits than a larger quake out in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night.)

Now that I think about it, I guess what I'm suggesting is somewhat similar to "Community Internet Intensity Maps" (generated from data volunteered by website visitors); still, it would be interesting to analyze the website traffic logs after a significant quake. Maybe I can request the logs under the FOIA.

1 Comments:

At 7:04 AM, June 17, 2005, Blogger Kendra K. said...

at work, we're all convinced something big is about to happen. i'm just hoping san francisco drops into the ocean.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home