Friday, April 21, 2006

It's freakin' Earth Day.


It's Earth Day! Celebrate now, because there are only so many years left before we have to change it to "Earth Gets Revenge Day."

I bought a TerraPass, mostly to assuage my guilt over a recent purchase of a not-very-efficient car. I'm also going to remember to "Cache In Trash Out" during my geocaching. And I might get one of these bitchin' Voltaic solar backpacks.

TerraPass is actually a pretty cool idea: the company buys technology to reduce greenhouse gas pollution equal to the amount of greenhouse gas your car makes. (For example, they'll pay for a methane scrubber on a factory.) Does it work? Well, it has detractors, but it still seems like a good first step.

Tags: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 8:20 AM, April 22, 2006, Blogger Kendra K. said...

the terrapass seems like a cool idea, but it also seems like buying an indulgence to assuage the guilt of not being as earth friendly as possible. i wonder what luther would say.

 
At 6:04 PM, April 22, 2006, Blogger IvyMike said...

In my defense, my yearly mileage is well under the national average.

But yes, I see the truth in your analogy.

 
At 9:19 AM, April 25, 2006, Blogger Mansard said...

Thanks for posting this. I, too, bought a TerraPass, and look forward to spreading the word about it.

You're right--the plan might not be perfect, but at least it's a good first step. I think that once we (American consumers) start putting our money where our mouth is concerning the environment, it'll catch on to more and more people... and we can do our part to stop this global warming impending doom.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home