Thursday, December 15, 2005

Average beauty

A lunchtime discussion on average faces and the perception of beauty led me to "Beautycheck", a website which thoroughly examines the psychology of what makes a face beautiful.

Several things surprised me: contrary to what I had heard, "average" faces aren't more beautiful--if you average unbeautiful faces together, the resulting face still isn't perceived as beautiful. Also, symmetry isn't all that important to the perception of beauty, either.

However, the skin-smoothing effects of averaging DO increase the perception of beauty. For a moment, I thought I had a brilliant idea for a new product--until I realized that I had just re-invented "makeup".

Tags: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 12:10 PM, December 16, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

These studies that analyze beauty always strike me as depressing and a little creepy. But really interesting too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home