Monday, November 14, 2005

I like glue

Take a moment to sit back and appreciate something you probably take for granted: modern adhesive technology. Today's glue, applied correctly, can work miracles. I'm not the only fan; science fiction author Bruce Sterling was preaching that we live in the golden age of glue back in 1993!

How do you know which glue is the right one? A good starting place is This to That, which lets you input two different materials to be adhered and recommends a glue. (Even if you think this whole post is silly, someday you'll thank me for that URL.) And even though they're not updating it anymore, their "Glue of the Month" glue spotlight is fascinating stuff.

My personal glue tip: surface preparation is key. Washing both surfaces with warm soapy water will remove oils that would otherwise ruin the bond.

Why am I thinking about glue? I'm off to buy some "Shoe Goo II" to repair my shoes. Shoes flex, so you need to use an adhesive will also flex and won't become brittle; Shoe Goo fits the bill perfectly.

Tags: , ,

2 Comments:

At 2:22 PM, November 16, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you always yell about me being too cheap but now you're the one repairing your shoes!!!

 
At 10:02 PM, November 16, 2005, Blogger IvyMike said...

I would only make fun of you if you fixed your shoes with duct tape.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home