Monday, August 29, 2005

Geocaching!

Despite the fact that it was redonkulously hot Sunday, I managed to start Geocaching. Geocaching is a global game of hide-and-seek treasure hunting: Geocachers create and hide "caches" containing a log book and some trinkets. They then post the GPS coordinates on geocaching.com; anyone with a GPS unit can try to find the caches. When I entered my zip code, the web site found dozens of hidden caches within a few miles of my house.

I entered waypoints for the nearest caches and marched off into the hills behind my house. I found one cache, I was unable to find a second cache, and I spent a lot of time hunting for what I thought was a third cache, but was actually an unrelated waypoint left in my GPS unit from long ago. D'oh! But it was very cool to open the cache I did find, and it's a great way to mix up my hiking a bit. I recommend giving it a try, and I may even place some caches of my own!

Tags: , ,

1 Comments:

At 8:59 PM, August 29, 2005, Blogger Kendra K. said...

i saw something about geocaching on tv once. it looked really neat. almost compelling enough to get a gps thinga-majig, but not quite enough.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home