Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Mike on Software: My favorite software activity

My favorite software activity is deleting code. Nothing makes me happier than removing complexity and cutting a function's length in half, all the while making it easier to understand.

Maybe that activity is more precisely stated as making code simpler--boiling things down to their bare essentials. It's Newton coming up with "F=ma", it's Einstein deriving "E=mc^2". It's the best feeling I can have as an engineer.

Someday, I hope to write a very concise but very clear regular expression that runs the universe.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 8:50 PM, November 22, 2006, Blogger MelechRic said...

While reworking your timeset packing script I deleted a bit of your code.

;)

 
At 6:45 PM, November 25, 2006, Blogger IvyMike said...

In my defense, I told Anthony that code sucked when I gave it to him. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home