Tuesday, January 03, 2006

I've got Olympic fever

Just a warning: The 2006 Winter Olympics in Turin start in 37 days, and I've got Olympic fever. Back when I was 11, I was given a book that detailed the mechanics and rules of the sports of the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics, and I've hooked ever since.

And it's not just the mainstream sports; I like watching the obscure, underappreciated sports the best. During the last summer olympics, there was a point at which I had to stay up until 3 am to watch the archery finals--I couldn't tape it, because my Tivo was busy recording badminton.

Olympics factoid: There are only seven sports in the Winter Olympics: Biathlon, Bobsleigh, Curling, Ice Hockey, Luge, Skating, and Skiing. Of course, many of those sports are broken into dozens of events. (Oddly, Skeleton is considered an 'event' in Bobsleigh, but Luge is an entirely different 'sport'. I don't know how that happened.)

Tags: , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At 9:15 PM, January 04, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The bigger story is the olympic events of the past: tug of war, rugby, polo, lacrosse, and golf. Tug of war!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home