Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Batch 3: Organic IPA

My third batch of beer was also from Seven Bridges; it was their IPA Mash-Extract kit. I have some terse brewing notes for this batch that I should someday fill in here.

I think I underpitched the yeast, or bottled too early, because the beer started out a little malty. A friend a work described it as "carmel apple". It wasn't specifically a bad flavor, but it was definitely inappropriate to an IPA.

I still have a few beers from this batch, and they've complete fermentation at this point. They're now extremely carbonated, with a ridiculous head (about two-thirds of the glass, even with an extremely gentle pour) but the flavor is much improved.

Underpitching is the next thing I'm going to try to address: I've been using the Wyeast "100 billion yeast cell" pop-pouches, but I think I'm going to have to break down and do a real starter for any of the higher-gravity beers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home